Cookie – How to delete cookiesBack to Glossary
A cookie is a small data piece that is sent from a site and stored in your web browser when you visit that site. Each time you load that website, the cookie is sent back to the server by the browser to notify that site of your previous visit. Even though they do not install malware and viruses, tracking cookies are mostly used to compile your long-term browsing history records and are therefore a privacy concern.
Companies want to understand their customers in order to give them the best experience possible. Through cookies, marketers can tell whether users on a website are new or returning. They can also perform a host of other analysis on these users. Then, with a better understanding of customers, companies can design their websites to best suit the needs of their customers. Here’s a guide to get started designing an effective landing page.
How to delete cookies on Google chrome
Since cookies contain information gathered from websites, it is important to ensure they are cleared. Although they are generally harmless, some are not and might be used to reveal your information about the websites you visit to other people. Also, they might be used to keep track of your online activities and this is invasion of privacy. To avoid this, use the following method to clear your cookies.
- If you are running a Google chrome browser, click the button at the upper right corner on your window chrome. (The one with three horizontal lines).
- From there, click on “Settings”.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click “+ Show advanced settings”.
- Under “Privacy” click “Clear browsing data…”.
- From the drop down select from how far long ago you want to delete your information. (The past hour, day, week, four weeks, or the beginning of time).
- Check the box “Cookies and other site and plug-in data” unchecking all the other boxes.
- Click on “Clear browsing data”.
- Voila! You’re successfully deleted your cookies!
Want to save time on the web? Try these useful browser shortcuts to increase conversion and decrease time waste.